CONCIERGE COMMENTS - BLOG
Safety in your home
Throughout Your Home ensure that:
- Floors are not slippery.
- Pathways are clear of extension cords and other objects.
- Rugs have no ripples or tears.
- Scatter mats are removed or taped to the floor.
- Low tables are removed from the middle of the living room.
- All furniture is sturdy.
- Chairs have armrests and are the correct height.
- All light fixtures have a minimum of 60 watt bulbs.
- Entrance to every room has a light switch.
- Stepladder or step stool is sturdy, and the step surface is not slippery.
- Items used every day are stored within easy reach.
- Doors open easily.
- There is a sturdy seat with arm rests.
- Mail is within easy reach.
- Exterior and interior lighting is good.
- Outside pathways are free of lawn furniture, hoses and other objects.
- A telephone is easily reached from the bed.
- A lamp is easily reached from the bed.
- The bed is the correct height.
- Bath-tub plug is easy to reach, and to use.
- A rubber mat is used for every bath or shower, or.
- Anti-slip decals on the bottom of the bath-tub are no more than 2" apart.
- There are at least two grab bars in the tub area
- Portable grab bars (on the side of the tub) do not move when used for support.
- Rug outside the bathtub has a rubber backing.
If you have problems getting into or out of the bath-tub, use:
- a bath seat.
- a hand held shower.
If you have problems sitting on or getting up from the toilet, use:
Stairs (inside and outside)
- a raised toilet seat.
- a grab bar conveniently located.
- Stair edges are marked with contrasting colour.
- All steps are the same height.
- All steps are the same depth.
- Stairs have a non-slip surface.
- Handrails are present on both sides of stairs.
- Handrail height feels comfortable when used for support.
- Handrails extends 12 inches beyond the top and bottom steps.
- Handrails are round.
- Move slowly after lying or sitting to prevent dizziness.
- Always wear well fitted shoes or slippers with low heels and non-slip soles.
- Do not wear long skirts, long house coats, or loose slacks.
- Do not use bath oil.
- Turn on a night light before going to bed.
- Turn on a light when getting up at night.
- Avoid using a ladder or step stool.